Heard about the Movie?
An epic masterpiece.
Set in a near-future U.S.A., Ayn Rand’s thrilling masterpiece features the mysterious disappearance of the top innovators and industrialists—and demonstrates a new moral philosophy: the morality of rational self-interest.
Why Businessmen Need Philosophy
The capitalist’s guide to the ideas behind Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged
Essays on Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged
This is the first scholarly study of Atlas Shrugged, covering the historical, literary, and philosophical aspects of Ayn Rand’s magnum opus. Topics include: the novel’s creation, publication, and reception; its nature as a romantic novel; and its presentation of a radical new philosophy.
The history of Atlas Shrugged
An essay on the genesis of the book.
If you’ve heard about the movie, Atlas Shrugged: Part 1 and Part 2, and would like to learn more about Ayn Rand’s novel, you have come to the right place!
The scope of Ayn Rand’s timeless novel is panoramic. The novel’s plot is an intricately crafted mystery riddled with suspense; the characters, insightfully drawn and larger-than-life. It is a novel that challenges conventional beliefs about good and evil and about life.
Find out more by reading Atlas Shrugged (if you haven’t already) and by exploring the following articles, talks and resources that delve into the story, characters, and thought-provoking ideas of the novel. In addition, experts from the Ayn Rand Institute are available for media interviews.
Read an Excerpt
- Read Chapters 1, 2 and 3 of Atlas Shrugged online.
- Download a free Amazon Kindle sample of Chapters 1, 2 and 3 (Kindle devices, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Android, Blackberry, Mac, and PC; introduction contains plot spoilers)
- Read a brief excerpt from Chapter 1.
- “The Spirit of Francisco d’Anconia: The Development of His Characterization,” by Shoshana Milgram (audio lecture; book, Essays on Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged”
- “Who Was John Galt? The Creation of Ayn Rand’s Ultimate Ideal Man,” by Shoshana Milgram in Essays on Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged” (book)
- “The Businessmen’s Crucial Role: Material Men of the Mind,” by Debi Ghate in Essays on Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged” (book)
The Ideas of the Novel
- “A Teacher’s Guide to the Signet Edition of Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand,” by Onkar Ghate (online pamphlet)
- “A Study of Galt’s Speech” by Onkar Ghate in Essays on Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged” [book]
- “Discussion of Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged: Chapter-by-Chapter” by Onkar Ghate (video lecture, book Essays on Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged”)
- “No Tributes to Caesar: Good and Evil in Atlas Shrugged” by Tara Smith (audio lecture; book, Essays on Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged”)
- “Ayn Rand’s Ethics: From The Fountainhead to Atlas Shrugged” by Darryl Wright in Essays on Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged” (book)
- “Atlas Shrugged on the Role of the Mind in Man’s Existence,” by Gregory Salmieri, in Essays on Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged” (book)
Background on the Novel
- “The History of Atlas Shrugged: An Essay on the Genesis of the Book,” from idea to research to characters to publication (article)
- “Adapting Atlas Shrugged to Film,” by Jeff Britting (book, Essays on Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged”)
Atlas Shrugged in Today’s World
- “Atlas Shrugged: America’s Second Declaration of Independence,” by Onkar Ghate (video lecture, PDF)
- “‘Atlas Shrugged‘: With America on the brink, should you ‘go Galt’ and strike?” by Onkar Ghate (article)
- “The Radicalness of Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged,” by Onkar Ghate (article)
- “Atlas Shrugged and the Morality of Freedom,” by Onkar Ghate (video lecture)
- “Atlas Shrugged: Its Influence After Fifty Years,” by Yaron Brook (video lecture)
- “Why Atlas Shrugged Changes Lives” by Debi Ghate (video)
- “The Relevance of Atlas Shrugged in Today’s World,” by Yaron Brook (video)
- “Why Businessmen Love Atlas Shrugged,” by Alex Epstein (video)
- “Atlas Shrugged and the Tea Party Revolts,” (video)
- “How Did Ayn Rand’s ‘Atlas Shrugged‘ Predict an America Spinning Out of Control?” by Onkar Ghate (article)
- “Atlas Shrugged: From Fiction to Fact in 52 Years,” by Stephen Moore (WSJ article)
- John Stossel special on Atlas Shrugged (video)
- “Atlas Shrugs Again “by Marc Babej and Tim Pollak (Forbes.com article)
- “Is Fiction Turning Into Reality?” (Fox News interview)
- “Rand’s Atlas Is Shrugging With a Growing Load” by Amity Shlaes (Bloomberg article)
- “‘Atlas Shrugged‘ Author Sees Resurgence” (CNN article)